A site dedicated to the bold proclamation of the gospel.
Romans 1:16
1Corinthians 1:18

Monday, March 30, 2015

Chasing the Wind.

     I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold all is vanity and striving after wind.
                            Ecclesiastes 1:14 NASB

     The vast majority of people living on this earth, never rise higher than the temporal in their pursuits. Some accomplish great things in their short existence in this life, but for most, life is an ongoing struggle to get by, a never ending cycle of daily, mundane routines, and even great accomplishments prove to be unfulfilling.
     King Solomon experienced first hand the bitter disappointment of mere human accomplishment. He had wealth and possessions, and experienced all sorts of pleasure, but it left him empty and disillusioned with life. It was all meaningless, a chasing after the wind. This is what he had to say after a life of pursuing temporal things,

     All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor.
     Thus I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun.
                          Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 NASB

     We have been created to know God, to fellowship with Him, and to love Him supremely. There is absolutely nothing that we can pursue or accomplish that will bring us the inner peace and satisfaction that can only be found in Christ. Sadly, mankind has chosen instead to live selfishly, to fill his life with earthly pursuits and pleasures, and to deny the revelation of God to His soul, thus cutting himself off from the one thing he needs (Romans 1:18-23). Mankind has chosen instead to pursue the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life (1 John 2:16-17). The things of this world can never satisfy, and one day, they will all pass away and be no more. It is indeed like chasing after the wind, it cannot be caught.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment